For Black History Month, Justice League NYC member Urmi Devi put together a list of the Black authors profiled so far as part of our #RadicalReadz series of recommended books. Based on Mr. Belafonte’s wish to see a sustained, radical book club, the recommendations are sourced from Justice League NYC / CA members, who meet regularly to discuss the books.
We encourage you to check out all these wonderful books! Appearing alphabetical by author last name, each is linked to either a written description or a previous live program we hosted, so you can learn more.
- Chi Ali - “Another Kind of Freedom”
- Cyntoia Brown-Long - “Free Cyntoia: My Search for Redemption in the American Prison System”
- Marc Lamont Hill — “We Still Here” & “Except for Palestine”
- Shaun King — “Make Change”
- Mysonne Linen — “I Know My Rights: Bill of Rights”
- Tamika D. Mallory — “State of Emergency”
- Nadia Owusu — “Aftershocks”
- Marlon Peterson — “Bird Uncaged”
- Dr. Yusef Salaam - “Better, Not Bitter: Living on Purpose in the Pursuit of Racial Justice”
- Bryan Stevenson — “Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption”
- Angie Thomas — “The Hate U Give”
- Anna Malaika Tubbs - “The Three Mothers”